Mosquitos are not only a troublesome nuisance, but they also have the potential to carry serious diseases, such as the West Nile virus. Their presence and constant buzzing can turn a fun outdoor event into an itchy and uncomfortable experience. Thankfully, there are a few options available for both businesses and homeowners to prevent mosquitoes without the need for sticky and stinky bug spray.
The two most popular mosquito control options are manual fogging and automatic control. Here is more information on both options so that you can choose the best for your home or business:
What Is Manual Mosquito Fogging?
Manual mosquito fogging is a method of mosquito control that requires the spraying of insecticide around the yard monthly. The insecticide helps disrupt the life cycle and acts as a mosquito repellent. The insecticide is safe for use in both residential and business settings and has been approved by the Environmental Protection Agency.
What Are the Benefits of Manual Fogging?
Manual mosquito fogging is a viable option for many homeowners and businesses. It requires hiring a professional mosquito company to spray your yard once a month, allowing you to schedule a time that works for you and your budget.
As it is done manually, the insecticide can be adjusted to the right amount needed for your yard’s needs. It can also be done to target specific areas of your property, depending on the density of the mosquito population.
Manual mosquito fogging can also be an effective treatment to rid your yard of mosquitos before an upcoming event, such as a backyard wedding or barbecue. It can also handle a stubborn mosquito population that seems to grow overnight. As it disrupts the lifecycle of the mosquito, the population will soon drop as it will not be able to reproduce.
Things to Consider About Manual Fogging
- While manual fogging is effective at killing most types of mosquitoes, there are still some types that are insecticide-resistant.
- It is important to understand your yard’s insect population and its needs. The insecticide may have the adverse effect of killing helpful insects such as butterflies and bees.
- You need to ensure that you schedule the fogging monthly for it to continue to be effective.
What Is Automatic Mosquito Control?
Automatic mosquito control units consist of misting nozzles installed around your yard and programmed to deploy a mosquito-killing spray for 30 to 60 seconds at dusk and dawn. The master unit controls the individual nozzles, indicating when to turn them off and on.
What Are the Benefits of Automatic Mosquito Control?
One of the biggest advantages of automatic mosquito control vs. manual fogging is that the property owner doesn’t have to worry about scheduling a team to come out every month. Automatic controls also have little to no maintenance, making it easy to focus on other aspects of your yard that may need more active attention from you.
Unlike the pesticide used in manual fogging, the automatic control pesticide is sprayed at lower levels more frequently. This means the level of pesticide is safe for bees and butterflies, while still being effective against mosquitos.
Coverage is also more consistent and can be adjusted to the size of your yard, ensuring that only as much pesticide as needed is sprayed onto your yard. This also aids in keeping the concentration of the pesticide consistent, meaning there is no weakening in the level of protection.
What Needs to Be Taken Into Consideration About Automatic Control Systems?
- They do have a higher upfront cost for installation. However, they do pay for themselves over time.
- The larger your outdoor space, the larger the initial investment. The nozzles are installed every 10 to 15 feet, ensuring that your whole yard is covered.
- The system will continue to provide coverage until you turn it off, meaning you may be paying for protection during the parts of the year when mosquito populations naturally drop.
- Automatic mosquito control systems do need to be refilled every so often, so making sure to check levels every few months is extremely important.
Need Help Finding the Right Mosquito Control for Your Outdoor Space?
Whether you are looking for monthly manual fogging services or you are looking to install and/or refill your automatic mosquito misting system, you can rely on the professionals at Unique Outdoor Illumination & Mosquito Pros to be there for you! We proudly serve both residential and commercial clients in Houston Texas with all of their mosquito needs.
All our operations are performed with the oversight of a certified applicator licensed in Texas. This ensures the high quality of our services and keeps our clients protected from mosquitos all year round. Contact our team today for more information on our mosquito services or to schedule an appointment.